Mohan Das Gandhi G, Tektronix
Day by day, software testing becomes very crucial, since the applications are developed in different languages on different OS. Also, the complexity of the software is getting increased. The difficulty in software testing stems from the complexity of software. Regardless of complexity, we need to achieve high quality in our products. Test automation is one of the robust and fastest solutions for achieving quality in a complex environment. Automated testing can provide several benefits when it is implemented appropriately.
Automation is a good way to cut down time and cost.
The significant benefits of automated tests are:
- Production of a reliable system
- Improvement of the quality of the test effort
- Reduction of the test effort
- Testing a large test matrix (different languages on different OS platforms)
Due to the growing complexity of the software, there are multiple challenges in GUI test automation:
- Application window name is dynamically changing
- Mix of Managed and Unmanaged UI controls
- Applications developed in multiple languages and multiple OS
- Controls that don’t have proper and unique text property
- Customized controls and Owner draw controls
- Applications that are using third party controls like source grid control
- Class names are dynamically changing
- Controls that don’t have proper Z order
- GPIB command support
- More visual controls
What if the testing tool has limitations to support all the above challenges? Then we have only two options:
Either reevaluate our testing plan from automation to manual or look for a new testing tool. Obviously it makes software testing very costly.
Is it possible to overcome all the challenges in Single automation tool?
The answer is Yes. In our organization, we have developed our own GUI automation tool called TekRobo. This paper describes:
- What is TekRobo GUI automation tool
- How it handles all the challenges in test automation
- How it helps us to Achieve high quality in Complex environment