Mohan Das Gandhi Gandhi, Tektronix Engg. Dept.(P) Ltd
In today’s uncertain economic climate, it has become imperative to get products to market quickly. Time to market is valuable in fast-moving industries To beat the competition and satisfy the customers the following changes are inevitable:
- Time to Market: bring products to market as quickly as possible
- Frequent releases to support ongoing customer needs and requests
- Supporting multiple releases that continue to add core functionality
- Adapting to new technologies and operating systems
- Supporting new underlying hardware
There are times when delivering a quality product is more important than delivering the ‘perfect’ product. Due to the competition in the market, the complexity of software is increasing every day. The difficulty in software testing stems from the complexity of software.
Software testing is not just for uncovering any defects in the software. Software testing must be performed in order to ensure that a software program, application or product sufficiently meets all the intended business and technical requirements. Ongoing testing becomes essential in order to provide constant feedback in an effort to help products release on time. Two challenges in delivering a quality product are:
- The increased pressure to release applications or products more quickly
- Lack of standardized test processes
Apart from that, testers have to overcome the following challenges and still release the product within the constrained time:
- Finding suitable automation solution for new features
- Update and port test cases for supporting new features
- Perform thorough testing on existing and new features
We cannot shortcut our test strategy and test methods due to time pressure. Testers must still be committed to deliver the best quality and to ensure user confidence, as well as that the software will perform as promised. To overcome all the issues and deliver the better quality on time, testers must adopt a pro-active, innovative and smart way of testing.
In our company, we have implemented the following strategy to cover all the tests and complete on time:
- Standard mode, Short Mode and Long Mode Test automation
- Nightly Builds and Smoke tests
- Continuous testing
- Checklist and Round robin Testing.This paper illustrates “according to the schedule, how to mold our testing strategy without short cutting our tests” and how it helps us to ‘Deliver Quality on Determined Time’.