Alibaba Infrastructure Services
Kingsum Chow is currently a Chief Scientist at Alibaba Infrastructure Services. Before joining Alibaba in May 2016, he was a Principal Engineer and Chief Data Scientist in the System Technology and Optimization (STO) division of the Intel Software and Services Group (SSG). He joined Intel in 1996 after receiving Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Washington. Since then, he has been working on performance, modeling and analysis of software applications. At the Oracle OpenWorld in October 2015, Intel and Oracle CEOs announced the joint Cloud lab called project Apollo led by Kingsum in the opening keynote in front of tens of thousands of software developers. He has been issued more than 20 patents. He has presented more than 80 technical papers.
In his spare time, he volunteers to coach multiple robotics teams to bring the joy of learning Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics to the K12 students in his community. His teams appeared in national and world championships three times, taking home best programming in 2010 and best sensor technology and machine learning for robotics in both 2014 and 2015.
Major Industry Presentations: Kingsum appeared three times in JavaOne keynotes and almost a dozen times in JavaOne and Oracle OpenWorld presentations covering the topic of software performance systems and optimization.
- W7 Scaling Software Performance - Kingsum Chow, Alibaba Infrastructure Services Effective software performance analysis needs to be conducted by crossing multiple disciplines such as algorithms, data structures, effective coding, performance data collection and its associated overheads, computer architecture, operating systems, ... Read More
- W8 Software Performance in the Cloud - Kingsum Chow, Alibaba Infrastructure Services The emergence of large-scale software deployments in the cloud has led to two main challenges: (1) measuring software performance in the data center, and (2) optimizing software for resource management. This workshop addresses the two challenges by ... Read More
- Quality in the Data Center: Data Collection and Analysis - Kingsum Chow, Alibaba Infrastructure Services
The emergence of large-scale software deployments in the data center has led to several challenges in software performance analysis. This presentation describes how performance analysis has changed... Read More
- Cultivating Software Performance in Cloud Computing - Li Chen, Pooja Jain, Kingsum Chow, and Colin Cunningham, 2016 Technical Paper, Abstract, Paper, Slides, Notes, Video.
- Brewing Analytics Quality for the Cloud Performance - Li Chen, Kingsum Chow, Pooja Jain, Emad Guirguis, Tony Wu, 2015 Technical Paper, Paper, Slides, Notes, Video.
- Brewing Java Quality in Android Robots - Kingsum Chow, & Batteries in Black, 2015 Technical Paper, Abstract, Paper, Slides, Notes, Video.
- Engineering Quality in the Robotic World - Vicki Niu, Ethan Takla, Ida Chow, MacLean Freed, & Jeffery Wang, Lincoln High School; with Kingsum Chow, 2012 Technical Paper, Abstract, Paper, Slides
- Delivering Quality in Software Performance and Scalability Testing - Khun Ban, Robert Scott, Kingsum Chow, Huijun Yan, 2011 Technical Paper, Abstract, Paper, Slides