Anuradha Asudeva, Tektronix
Quality in T&M industry related to technology has its own challenges. These challenges make it hard to maintain quality and at the same time make it interesting too. Test and measurement domain applications provide measurements and compliance solution to the “upcoming” technologies. Design and validation teams involved in upcoming technologies require a tool/application to verify their design and validate their product. Developing these applications poses the following Quality challenges to the T&M developers:
- Requirement Vagueness – Most often, Technology owned by Standard body may not have defined all the electrical characteristics and method of implementation. – No clarity on requirements, yet T&M should have solution in place so that the technology designers make use of it.
- Unpredictable Inputs – Every device under test (DUT) behaves and produces different type of signals depending on the manufacturer. How do we anticipate or foresee such cases to deliver quality product?
- Repeatability of results on different hardware platforms and operating systems is an issue. How do we ensure customers on different platforms get the same answer for the same set of inputs?
- Performance and Memory management of the application with the increase in market needs.
- Last minute surprises before the product release since the requirement has changed! How some of the Scrum methodologies help us address the above issues to ensure a quality product will be discussed with the audience.
- What do we do to bring down the risk of requirement vagueness
- Provide prototypes to customers, as part of sprint deliverable.
- Procuring the device under test from customers.
- Effective review and retrospective meetings.
- How Testing and Development engineers come together to ensure Quality in a scrum team
- Unit Test cases written by Engineering team used by Testing group
- Development team using automation scripts from Testing group
- Different methods to Increase the testing group domain knowledge to ensure they are able to find domain defects in their testing.
- “Find and Fix earlier” – Moving testing cycles upwards in the development cycle, in a scrum team.
- Some best practices followed:
- Test Matrix to be prepared at the beginning of the project in collaboration with Engineering, Quality and Marketing.
- Pair testing – Two pair of eyes better than one.
- Free run to stress the application to max capacity using automation scripts.