Jean Richardson, Azure Gate Consulting
Because building software is a social process, navigating conflict in the software development process is a large part of what occupies team member time. It seems to be perennially scary to deal with conflict. NOT dealing with conflict has a very high cost that is often unacknowledged; it can destroy teams and entire organizations. Using proven research and anecdotes drawn from the speaker’s experience, this paper will address:
- A model to help us think about various ways of responding to conflict
- How conflict escalates, and the signs of escalation
- What effective conflict engagement actually is
- Basic techniques for de-escalating conflict
- Reasons not to fear dealing with conflict
Attendees will take away:
- A simple model for identifying conflict processes.
- Techniques for short-circuiting escalation.
- A fresh perspective on the “scariness” of conflict.