Natalia Pletneva, Okko
Today microservice architecture is widely implemented in various areas of software development. However, the changes in the testing process often lack the attention they deserve. The talk will discuss the main new challenges and opportunities that arise when testing microservices:
Reappraisal of microservice testing approaches.
Smart endpoints and dumb pipes: testing methods at different levels of microservices Transition period: testing under conditions of the monolith and microservice collaboration
We also discuss why we had problems with testing automation in the monolith and show how the implementation of microservices makes testing automation much easier.
About what? Short description of the presentation: Testing point of view on moving from monolith to microservices. Main problems with changing in the testing process.
- Revaluation of microservice testing approaches:
- monolith vs. microservices based on changes in project architecture
- what are the differences to testing approaches
- the Testing Pyramid changes accent on contract and integration testing
- Smart endpoints and dumb pipes:
- testing methods at different levels of microservices what level of testing should be used, where and what type of testing can be applied
- Transition period:
- testing under the conditions of monolith and microservice collaboration
- difficulties you may encounter: request tracking points of failure-failovers A/B testing of transition to microservices (split monolith and microservice)
- Research in the field of microservices testing automation (which approaches we use, which services we deal with – postman, pytest)
- the main profit of the transition from the monolith to microservices in terms of testing
Key takeaways include:
- Major changes in testing approaches
- API testing changes
- Understanding what problems you can face with testing during the transition period from monolithic architecture to microservices
- Best practices recommendations for microservices development to make testing easier and quality higher